||Processing Time in South Africa: 30-40 days
Processing Time if lodged abroad: 30 days
||Government Fee in South Africa: R1520
New Submission Centre Fee ( in SA ): R1350
Government Fee abroad: Dependent on Currency
||Application Form when submitting abroad: Click here
Application Form when submitting in SA: Done Online
Applying for a Spouse Visa for South Africa
South Africa is progressive with regards to Human Rights. The spouse of a South African Citizen or Permanent Resident has a flexible visa option to enter South Africa and join their spouse.
If you are married to a South African Citizen or Permanent Resident for more than 2 years, then you can apply for a Spousal Visa. This is a two year visa, is renewable, and falls under the Relatives category. The Spousal visa is a temporary resident permit. This permit is available to heterosexual couples and same–sex couples.
The Department of Home Affairs realizes that foreign spouses may wish to contribute to the household or continue with studies. The Spousal visa does allow a foreign spouse to add working rights, business rights, or study rights. See our section on adding working rights to a Spousal or Life Partner visa. If a foreign spouse is married to their SA spouse for two or more years, they can apply for Permanent Residency based on the Section 26(b) of the Immigration Act 13 of 2002. See our section on Permanent Residency.
How do I Qualify?
Foreign Spouse is not traditionally married. Marriage needs to be registered.
Foreign Spouse or SA Spouse is not married from previous relationship. Finalized divorce documentation needs to be supplied.
SA spouse can show documentation providing financial and emotional support for foreign spouse.
Couple can provide a valid marriage certificate.
If you feel you may qualify for this visa or are planning to get married in the future to a South African Citizen or Permanent Resident, then please contact us if you have any questions.
Processing Times and Visa Requirements
The processing time is 30 to 40 working days.
The Requirements are:
Documents Required for applicants married to South African Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Duly completed online form. Handwritten forms will not be accepted by Department of Home Affairs.
- All Applicants are requested to get original documents for verification while submitting photocopies for any visa / permit category
- Original passport
- Copies of passport and previous visas
- Original Bank payment / Electronic Fund Transfer receipt for each applicant
- Original and Copy of Bank Receipt per applicant in case of Repatriation / Bank Guarantee paid in Department of Home Affairs Account
- Appointment Letter
- Passport valid for no less than 30 calendar days after expiry of the intended visit.
- Medical report.
- Radiological report.
- Unabridged birth certificate.
- Marriage certificate or in the case of a foreign spousal relationship, proof of official recognition thereof issued by the authorities of the foreign country of the applicant (where applicable).
- The affidavit where a spousal relationship to a South African citizen or resident is applicable as well as documentation proving cohabitation and the extent to which the related financial responsibilities are shared by the parties and setting out the particulars of children in the spousal relationship.
- Proof of a union recognised in terms of the Recognition of Customary Marriages Act, 1998 (Act No. 120 of 1998), where applicable.
- Undertaking by the South African citizen or permanent resident regarding financial, emotional and physical responsibility towards his/her foreign spouse
- Divorce decree, where applicable.
- Death certificate, in respect of late spouse, where applicable.
- Police clearance certificates in respect of applicants 18 years and older, in respect of all countries where person resided one year or longer since having attained the age of 18.
- Vaccination certificate, if required by the Act.
Adding Work/Business Rights to your Life Partner Visa
Click here to find out how you can apply for working rights on your Spousal Visa
Visa Eligibility Assessments
The Free Visa Eligibility Assessments from New World Immigration let you know if you meet the basic requirements to apply for a visa to South Africa. To ensure that your assessment gives you a realistic result, ensure that the information you provide is as accurate as possible.
New World Immigration aims to provide you with any personal visa application information that you require when wanting to visit, work, and study or live in South Africa. Whether you are a first-time visitor or travel to South Africa frequently for business, New World Immigration ensures you fast processing, friendly service and expert advice when applying for any related visa application.