|Processing Time in South Africa: 6-12 Weeks|
Governments Nomination fee:
Application fee: AUD$360
Training and Research Sponsorship:AUD$420
Professional Development Sponsorship:AUD$1660
Nomination for Training and Research visa
(Subclass 402) (Occupational Trainee position): FREE
Applying Training and Research visa (subclass 402)
This (subclass 402) Training and Research visa is for applicants, who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training and research.
Please note that this is not a work visa.
There are three streams:
- Occupational Trainee stream: this is for applicants who require structured workplace-based training to enhance their skills in their current occupation, area of study etc.
- Professional Development stream: this is for applicants who are professionals, managers and government officials who have been invited to participate in professional development training programs within Australia. An employer outside Australia must have arranged the program, which usually lasts up to 18 months.
- Research stream: this is for applicants who are professional academics, who have been invited to visit Australia, in order to observe or participate in an Australian research project at tertiary or research institution in Australia.
To apply in the Occupational Trainee or Research stream: you can be in or outside Australia when you apply:
If applying in Australia: If you are applying in Australia, you must lodge your application in within Australia.
If applying outside Australia: If you are applying outside of Australia, you must lodge your application outside of Australia.
Applicants are allowed to be in or outside of Australia at the time of the visa grant, regardless of where this visa has been lodged.
If applicants wish to apply in the Professional Development stream, the applicant must be outside of Australia when they apply and when their visa is granted. Their sponsor may lodge the applicant’s application on their behalf.
What this visa allows you to do:
- You may enter Australia at any time after your visa has been, if you are outside Australia at the time that this visa is granted.
- You may stay in Australia for the timeframe of your training, research position or program.
- Applicants can do the training or activity that is specified in their visa application.
- Applicants may travel to and from Australia as many times as they wish until the have finished with participating in their program or the applicants visa expires, so whichever would occurs first.
Before applicants are allowed to apply for the visa, their sponsoring organisation must have applied for or been approved as a sponsor:
- Occupational Trainee stream: A sponsor would nominate you for this visa, unless the sponsor is a Commonwealth agency. In the case of a Commonwealth agency, no nomination would be required.
- Professional Development stream: The applicants approved sponsor would organise a professional development program with an employer that is outside Australia, who invites the applicant to participate.
- Research stream: The applicants approved sponsor would invite the applicant to observe or participate in an Australian research project.