Tel: +1 646 851 2309

NZ Spousal Visas

New Zealand Visas for Partners & children

Old Couple

New Zealand offers a range of visa options for partners and children of New Zealand Citizens or foreign born persons who hold New Zealand residency permits.

What are your Visa options?

Applicants wanting to join their partner in New Zealand have a number of visa options available to them and should consider all their options.

Family Partnership category

This means that, by meeting certain criteria, you could join your partner or parents in New Zealand by applying for a visa under the Family Partnership category.

If you are applying for a New Zealand visa based on your relationship, you and your partner will need to meet certain criteria, which includes, amongst others;

• Proving the partnership is genuine and stable
• That you and your partner are living together
• You will be required to meet health and character criteria
• And you should be able to demonstrate that your partner plans to support you in your move and while you are living in New Zealand

How is a ‘Partnership’ defined?

Immigration New Zealand defines partnership as two people of the opposite or same sex, who live together in a genuine and stable relationship in any of the following:

• a legal marriage
• a civil union
• a de facto relationship.

When you apply for a visa based on your partnership with a New Zealand visa holder or New Zealand citizen, INZ (Immigration New Zealand) calls that person your ‘Supporting Partner’.

You and your supporting partner must:

• be aged 18 or over, or if they're aged 16 or 17 years, have the consent of their parents or guardians
• have met each other before applying for a visa based on your partnership
• not be close relatives

What are the requirements for a Partnership visa to be successful?

You must be able to show us that you're living together in a genuine and stable relationship before a visa will be granted based on your partnership.

According to the stipulations of New Zealand Immigration living together means sharing the same home as your partner, which doesn’t include:

• spending time in each other’s homes while you each maintaining your own home
• sharing accommodation while on holiday
• or a flatmate arrangement.

Your partnership might be assessed

When your partnership is being assessed, the following will be taken into consideration;

• how long you’ve been together
• how long you've been living together as a couple
• your living arrangements
• whether you support each other financially
• how you share financial responsibilities
• how committed you are to a life together
• whether you own property together and/or share your property
• any children you have together, including your arrangements for their care
• whether you share common household tasks
• whether other person recognise of your relationship.

How long can I stay on this visa

If you’ve been living with your partner for 12 months or more at the time we assess your application, you can stay for up to 24 months.

If it’s been less than 12 months, you can stay for up to 12 months.

With this visa you can...

• Live in New Zealand with your partner
• Work in New Zealand
• Study in the country for up to 3 months
• And, this visa may lead to residency on application.

You can work while in New Zealand

You can work in any employment you like, as long as:

• the work you do is legal
• you don’t provide commercial sexual services
• you don’t invest or operate in a business that provides commercial sexual services
• you have any occupational registration that’s needed to do that work in New Zealand.

Your Application

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed

Your Credentials

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed


Other Information

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed