Hot of the press is the shock news that Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) announced the abolishment of their Subclass 457 work visa. This news follows on the back of yet another shocker that the country’s Strategic Skills List has been slashed by hundreds of occupations. Leaving many visa applicants in a lurch.
This morning the DIBP confirmed that the Subclass 457 work visa will be become obsolete within less than a year and will be replaced by a new visa, known as the Temporary Skill Shortage visa by March 2018.
The announcement was made by Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull who said that while the country is based on immigration Australians should enjoy priority when it comes to filling vacant positions.
"We will no longer allow 457 visas to be passports to jobs that could and should go to Australians," Mr Turnbull said earlier today.
"It will be replaced by a new system that will be manifestly, rigorously, resolutely conducted in the national interest to put Australians in Australian jobs first."
"We are putting jobs first, we are putting Australians first...we are an immigration nation but the fact remains that Australian workers must have priority for Australian jobs," Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said on Facebook.
"Australian workers must have priority for Australian jobs, so we are abolishing the 457 visa, the visa that brings temporary foreign workers into our country.
What changes can be expected
• The current four-year 457 system will be replaced by visas lasting two or four years.
• For the shorter visa, more than 200 jobs will be removed from an existing list of about 650 eligible professions.
• The list for the longer visa will be even more strict
• Applicants will have to prove their English language proficiency, undergo a criminal check and be subject to labour market testing (previously only required for nursing, engineering and trade occupations
• A minimum of proven 2 years of experience in the occupation will be required.
• There will be a 2-year and a 4-year stream
• If the applicant obtained a visa under the 2-year stream that visa may only be renewed once
Consult your immigration consultant immediately if you feel that your application may be affected by the changes and for a complete list of occupations that have been severed from the Critical Skills List.