In a hurry to start a life in Australia? Did you know that by using Australia’s SkillSelect system you and your family could be living Down Under before next Christmas! This online system allows skilled workers interested in moving to Australia to be considered for an Australian Independent Skilled Work Visa once they have submitted an Expression of Interest (EOI) to the Australian government.
The basics about SkillSelect and the Independent Skilled Visa
The SkillSelect Process
The SkillSelect system will score your application based on your work experience and education. Applicants who score above 65 points might then receive an invitation from the Australian government to apply for a Skilled Worker Visa.
You can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect if:
- your occupation is listed on Australia’s Skilled Occupations list
- you are younger than 45
To find out if your position is listed on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL) you should speak to your immigration consultant who will also explain any other requirements you might have to meet.
The Independent Skilled Visa
Once your EOI has been submitted your application will be scored. Applicants who score 65 points or more could expect to receive an Invitation to Apply for a (skilled worker) visa.
If you are granted an Independent Skilled Visa you:
- will be allowed to live in Australia permanently
- won’t need a sponsor
- will be able to legally work and study in Australia
- can enroll in Australia's public health care scheme, Medicare
- may sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
- can travel to and from Australia for 5 years
- could, if you are eligible, apply for Australian citizenship
In order to be considered for this visa:
- you will have to satisfy the Australian officials that you will be an asset to Australia. This is done by having your skills and education assessed by a government appointed body in Australia. Based on their certification of your credentials your application will be further assessed. Without their stamp of approval your application will be rejected. Your immigration consultant will be able to put you in touch with the appropriate assessment body.
- anyone accompanying you on your application who are above 18 will be expected to sign the Australian values statement and confirm you will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws when you sign or accept the Australian Values Statement.
- must have a clean criminal record
- meet Australia’s health requirements and submit proof to that effect
- Give proof acceptable proof that you are English proficient. Your immigration consultant will put you in touch with an acceptable English language test center.