Tel: +27 21 555 0951

Australian Partner Visas

Australian Partner Visas

Love_Romantic_Beach_Couple.jpg (1600×1200)

Are you in a relationship with an Australian permanent resident or citizen? If so you can consider applying for a partners visa which is valid for a period of 2 years and this will lead to permanent residency.

In the last few years many changes has been made to the partner's visas and all these changes have been beneficial to all foreigners and partners. Australia has also introduced registered relationships and more options to assist foreigners onshore after a refusal of other visa applications.

If you are in one of the following relationships then you may apply for this if your partner is an Australian citizen or permanent resident;

Legally Married – This will be applicable if you are married to an Australian citizen or permanent resident and you are over the age of 18.

Defacto Relationship – In order to qualify for this you need to prove that you have lived together for a period of 12 months with your partner. In certain circumstances they would consider shorter periods such as if you have a child together or living together is not permitted in your country or if you have registered your relationship. (See Below)

Registered Relationship – In Australia, the different states or territory government does allow you to register your relationship but the process will differ and this depends in the state you live in. The advantage about registering your relationship is that you can apply even if you have stayed together for less than 12 months. You would need to prove that you are staying together but no minimum amount of time needs to be evidenced.

The partner’s visa gives you full working rights and travel rights out in Australia and when applying for this visa, a combined application is made both for the partner’s visa and permanent residency but the partner’s visa is granted first. You would have access to Medicare but social security benefits would not be fully granted. If you have been dating your partner for more than 2 years and have a child together or been dating for more than 3 years then you may apply straight for permanent residency and not hold a partner’s visa first.

How long does it take to process?

It takes about 3-6 months for non-high risk applicants and high risk applicants would take about 6-18 months when applying in South Africa and applying onshore in Australia takes about 12 months.

What if my relationship does not work out?

If your relationship does not work out with your partner, it is your responsibility to notify the Department of Immigration. You may be granted permanent residency if you have not yet received it but depending on your reasons for the breakup. So if your relationship has ended due to family violence or there are children whom you and your partner have custody or access rights then your application will be considered.

See if you qualify now for your partner’s visa and let New World Immigration do a free assessment for you!

Your Application

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed

Your Credentials

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed


Other Information

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed