Did you know that it is much simpler getting an Australian visa if you already have a job offer from an Australian employer?
Prospective migrants who are in possession of a job offer in Australia jumps a few immigration hurdles when they apply for their visa. Australia understands that their industries and businesses are in need of certain specialized talents to grow their business and in turn the Australian economy. What is also true is that the Australian talent pool is unable to keep up with the demand and in some cases, it then becomes necessary for the employer to look offshore for talent. For this purpose, the Australian Federal Government devised a visa application procedure which lets approved employers nominate certain applicants for a specific position. This then speeds up the visa process rather significantly
Who would qualify for this visa?
You might be able to get this visa if you:
• have been nominated by an approved Australian employer within the six months before you apply
• are under the age of 50 at the time of application, if you are applying under the Temporary Residence stream, or are under the age of 45 if you are applying under the Direct Entry stream
• have the required skills and qualifications for the position (at time of application lodgement you must have the required skills and qualifications for the position you have been nominated for – you must hold any mandatory registration, license or professional membership, or you must already be fully assessed as suitable by the relevant body)
• have appropriate English language skills (at the time of application lodgement)
• meet health and character requirements – this applies to any family members who will be joining you in Australia on your visa
• meet the requirements of the stream in which you apply.
What is the Nomination Procedure?
You can apply for this visa only after you have been nominated by your employer in Australia. You must lodge your application within six months of the nomination being approved. You must apply for the visa in the stream and occupation in which your employer nominated you, or your application could be refused.
What this visa lets you do?
It lets you and any member of your family unit who has also been granted this visa:
• stay in Australia indefinitely
• work and study in Australia
• enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
• apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
• sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
• travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).
What if I don’t have an employer who will nominate me?
If you do not have an employer who will nominate you, you can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect. Prospective employers and state and territory governments can then view your details and decide whether to nominate you for skilled migration.
Your EOI must specify which stream you want to be considered for. No supporting documents are required at this time. You can lodge your EOI while you are in or outside Australia