The Inns and Outs of Australian Citizenship – Part 2
Proof of citizenship
This is a guide to applying for evidence of your Australian citizenship. Anyone who has been included in or had a certificate that states you are an Aussie citizen can apply. If you think that you could be a citizen, but are not sure of your status, you may also apply.
You may not request this information for another person, unless you are doing so for your child. You may request this information for a deceased parent or grandparent and only if it is for official purposes. If you are looking for this information for a deceased person, you need to make an FOI request.
Determining that you are in fact eligible
You may apply for evidence of Aussie citizenship if you:
• Were issued with a certificate before (this includes any child who was on their parent’s citizenship)
• Were born in Australia and got citizenship
• Born there after 1986 and one of your parents was a citizen or a permanent resident
• Born there after 1986 and spent your first 10 years of life in Australia
• Were adopted in the country and got citizenship
• Were born in Papua (former Australian Territory) before the 16th of September 1975 and got citizenship
• Were born outside of the country before the 26th of January 1949 and got citizenship
Children under 16 years of age need to have their parents make the application for them. The parent needs to include a recent document with their signature and photograph on it.
Get together all original documents
You will need to have certain documents to submit together with your application. Submitting all the required documentation will speed up the process. Should you not include all documentation, your application may be returned.
Certify and copy all your documents
Once you have all the required documentation, get them all certified and make copies of them. All copies need to be certified by an Australian citizen from a list of people who may certify these documents.
Never post your original documents
In order to get more information regarding the documentation that you require, it is advisable that you contact your immigration expert at NWI for a list of what will be need and any other information that you might require regarding getting evidence of citizenship.