Basically this visa is a temporary Partner visa which allows you to live in Australia if you are the spouse or de facto partner of:
• an Australian citizen
• an Australian permanent resident
• an eligible New Zealand citizen.
If you are successful in obtaining this visa you will be able to:
• stay in Australia until a decision is made about your permanent Partner visa
• work in Australia
• study in Australia, but with no access to government funding
• enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses.
You can include your dependent children in your application, but not other dependent relatives (unless you hold or held a Prospective Marriage visa). Dependent applicants must be in Australia when they apply.
What are the requirements to qualify for this visa?
To get this visa, you must be married to or in a de facto relationship with an:
• Australian citizen
• Australian permanent resident
• eligible New Zealand citizen.
• You must be in Australia when you apply
• You must be in a genuine and ongoing relationship
• Both parties must freely consent to the relationship
• Your marriage must be valid under Australian law. Underage, polygamous and same-sex marriages are not legal in Australia
• If you are in a de facto relationship it must have existed for at least 12 months immediately before you apply for this visa. Time spent dating does not count towards a de facto relationship
• You will be expected to meet certain health requirements
• Applicants must meet certain character requirements including being able to furnish police clearance certificates
You might be asked to provide biometrics (a scientific form of identification) as part of the application. Countries and visa subclasses included in the biometrics program has more information.
Average processing time for this visa is 12 to 15 months.
Contact one of our Australian visa experts who will guide you through the process of successfully applying for an Australian Partner visa.