Australia offers South African business owners a wealth of opportunities to start a new business or expand your South African-based business on Australian soil. The Australian Business visa allows you to live and work in the country while also traveling in and out of Australia, without limits, for up to four years.
You may qualify for this visa if:
• you are nominated by an eligible government organization
• you are invited to apply
• you (and all members of your family unit) meet certain health and character requirements
• you meet the additional requirements for the stream in which you apply
• you must score at least 65 points (the pass mark) in the points test to be eligible to apply for a Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188) in the Business Innovation stream or the Investor stream.
Other requirements you’ll have to meet:
• You, and anyone joining you on your visa must meet Australia’s minimum health requirements
• You, and anyone joining you on your visa must meet certain character requirements.
• If you are 18 years of age or older, you must sign an Australian Values Statement to confirm that you will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws
There are a number of different business visa streams namely; Business Innovation Stream, Investor Stream, Significant Investor stream, Premium Investor Stream, and the Entrepreneur stream. Consult your immigration consultant about the specific criteria for each stream.
Which Business Visa stream is best suited to your situation?
Business Innovation stream: for people with business skills who want to establish, develop and manage a new or existing business in Australia. Applicants must be nominated by a state or territory government.
Investor stream: for people who want to make a designated investment of at least AUD1.5million in an Australian state or territory and maintain business and investment activity in Australia. Applicants must be nominated by a state or territory government.
Significant Investor stream: for people who are willing to invest at least AUD5million into complying significant investments in Australia and want to maintain business and investment activity in Australia. Applicants can be nominated by a state or territory government or Austrade on behalf of the Australian government.
Premium Investor stream: for people who are willing to invest at least AUD15million into complying premium investments in Australia and want to maintain business and investment activity in Australia. Austrade will make the initial contact with suitable candidates for nomination on behalf of the Australian government.
Entrepreneur stream: for people who have a funding agreement from a third party for at least AUD200 000 to undertake a complying entrepreneur activity that is proposed to lead to either the commercialization of a product or service in Australia or the development of a business in Australia. Applicants must be nominated by a state or territory government.
Holding this visa is the first stage before becoming eligible to qualify for a Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) visa (subclass 888).
What this visa lets you do
• establish a new or develop an existing business and/or invest in Australia, make a designated investment with an Australian state or territory government, make and maintain complying investments in Australia or participate in a complying entrepreneurial activity in Australia
• travel in and out of Australia for the life of your visa
• bring members of your family unit with you to Australia
• seek permanent residence by applying for a Business Innovation and Investment visa
• you might be able to extend your stay under an extension stream if you hold this visa under the Business Innovation stream or the Significant Investor stream
• this visa may include your partner, your child/step-child or your partner’s child/step-child
• members of your family unit who have been granted this visa are eligible to study and work in Australia.