Tel: +27 21 555 0951

Your Australian Spouse Visa

Is the love of your life living in Australia? We take a look at what this visa will allow you to do.

Your Australian Spouse Visa Checklist

First off you must be legally married to your partner at the time of lodging your application as your partner will more than likely be your visa sponsor. If you were married in a country other than Australia and that marriage is valid in that country, generally it will be recognised as valid under Australian law.

But please note that there are some exceptions, such as same-sex, underage or polygamous marriages, which are not lawful unions in Australia.

If you are not married but are life partners or intend on getting married once you reach Australia give New World Immigration a call and we will discuss the various partner visa options and criteria with you.

To be eligible for a Partner visa on the basis of your marriage, you must:

• be sponsored by an eligible person
• be legally married to your partner (usually your sponsor)and be able to prove that you and your partner have a mutual commitment to a shared life as husband and wife to the exclusion of all others
• show that you have a genuine and continuing relationship with your partner
• show that you and your partner are living together or, if not, that any separation is only temporary
• you will be required to meet health and character requirements which will include a clear medical and criminal record

The Australian Partner Visa fall in the temporary visa stream and will allow you to:

• stay in Australia until a decision is made about your permanent Partner visa
• work in Australia
study in Australia, but with no access to government funding
• enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
• dependent children can be included in your application, but not other dependent relatives.

If you are later granted a permanent visa, you would be able to:

• stay in Australia indefinitely
• work and study in Australia
• apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
• sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
• receive some social security payments
• travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time you will need another visa to enter Australia.

We suggest that you seek professional advice before applying for any Australian visa. The New World Immigration team of immigration experts will be able to help you with your application and give you appropriate advice and information.

Your Application

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed

Your Credentials

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed


Other Information

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed