So we’re saying if you are going to immigrate consider Australia or Canada, which would be a better fit for you? All depends on what is important to you and what you have to offer. Canada and Australia are basically on opposite poles (quite literally too). Australia, in the Southern hemisphere hugged by the warm Indian ocean is warm and sunny. Canada sits so far North that snow and sub-zero temperatures are part of life. Canada is just as progressive as Australia, but their immigration needs are slightly different. They need the same people as Australia does (skilled, talented and experienced – in a variety of fields) but Canada needs more, lots more. Both countries are culturally diverse, economically and politically stable and are listed amongst the countries that offer the best quality of life.
• Growing economy – in fact Australia has not had a recession in 7 year!
• Australia placed 20th on the Legatum Institute's security ranking.
• 178 occupations on Skilled Occupation List. People with sufficient education, training and experience in any of these occupations may apply for an Australian Work Visa.
• If none of their deadly snakes, poisonous spiders, ravenous crocodiles, devious jelly fish or lethal birds get you, you should reach the ripe old age of 82 years and 8 months!
• Gun control is very strict in Australia. Currently less than 25% of the country’s residents are gun owners and automatic fire arms have been banned since the 1930’s.
• According to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime annually around 236 murders are committed in Australia. South Africa’s number is 80 times that of Australia…
• 1,060,000 millionaires call Australia home and the median wealth per adult is US$162,815.
• The World Healthcare Index ranks Australians as 12th and says that 21% of Australians are clinically obese.
• Seems Ozzies are a bit happier too. With 3000 hours sunlight a year in the Northern parts of the country and 2700 hours at the most Southerly point.
• The Canadian Central Bank’s forecast pegs GDP growth at 2.6 per cent this year, which makes Canada one of the fastest growing economies in the developed world.
• Canada is one of six non-European states to feature in the top 23 of the Legatum Institute's security ranking, occupying the 22nd spot for safest countries in the world.
• Although it varies from time to time the number of occupations on Canada’s Skilled Occupations List stays around 300 occupations. Their cap per occupation is higher than that of Australia.
• According to stats By the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime just short one in every three Canadians own a gun
• About 604 murders are committed in Canada every year. Still much less that SA’s nearly 20 000.
• The country is home to 1,117,000 millionaires and the median wealth per adult is US$96,664.
• Canada ranks 31st for health with 29% of population being obese.
• Canada offers beautiful natural scenery and a rich blended culture. The country is very warm and welcoming of migrants which is great considering they have very only a few hours of sunlight a year.
But if you want to really find out which would be the better fit for you (based on your preferences and occupation) you should speak to an immigration consultant who will assess you individual circumstances and make recommendations to best suite you.