Tel: +27 21 555 0951

Canada is reuniting families faster

If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you can sponsor family members to become a permanent resident.

Canada Is Reuniting Families Faster

Sponsorship under the family class


The Canadian government allows citizens and permanent residents of Canada to sponsor members of the family class, but it requires that arriving immigrants receive care and support from their sponsors.

Members of the family class include a sponsor’s spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner; a dependent child of the sponsor; the sponsor’s mother or father; a person the sponsor intends to adopt; and other relatives of the sponsor as defined by regulation.

Which of my family members are included in the Family Class visa?

• Your spouse
• Your common-law partner
• Your conjugal partner
• Your dependant son or daughter

Do we need a passport or travel document?

You and your family members must have valid passports or travel documents. If any of the documents are to expire soon, you should renew them and provide copies of the new passport or travel document to the office processing your application.

How long is a permanent resident visa valid?

A permanent resident visa is issued for a period not exceeding the earliest expiry date of the following documents:
• the medical results for you and your family members or
• your or your family members’ passport.

If I live outside Canada, may I sponsor?

Canadian citizens may sponsor a spouse, a common-law partner or conjugal partner, or a dependent child who has no children of his or her own. But will be required to demonstrate they will live in Canada when the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.

Your obligations as a sponsor begin when your family members enter Canada to remain as permanent residents and in most cases you will remain responsible for that family member for a period of three years after that person becomes a permanent resident.

I am being sponsored under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Can I work while my permanent residence application is in process?

Yes, but only if you have a work permit.

Since you are applying for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class, the work permit type you must apply for is called an “open work permit”.

Remember that while your permanent residence application is being processed, you must:

• Maintain legal status as a visitor, student or worker in Canada, and
• Wait for your work permit application to be approved before starting to work.


Still unsure which is the best option for your particular situation? Contact a professional immigration specialist who will, based on your unique situation and special requirements, be able to suggest the best visa route and help you through the whole application process.

Your Application

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed

Your Credentials

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed


Other Information

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed