10 Handy tips when applying for the General Work Visa 2014-2015
1. Can I apply for the General Work Visa before securing employment?
In order to secure a General Work Visa, you first need to secure employment in South Africa before the General Work Visa is issued to you. Your chances are greater if you explain in your interview that you are in the process of applying for your General Work Visa through a professional immigration practitioner.
2. What is the validity of a General Work Visa?
The validity of a General Work Visa depends on your contract with your employer. So if your contract is valid for 3 years then your General Work Visa will be issued to you for a period of 3 years but a General Work Visa can be issued up to a period of 5 years.
3. Can I apply for Permanent Residency?
Once you complete 5 years on your General Work Visa, then only can you apply for Permanent Residency in South Africa.
4. Where should I submit my application?
All first time applications must be lodged in your country of residence at your nearest South African Embassy as South Africa no longer allows a change of status in South Africa. So this means if you entered South Africa with a tourist visa or medical visa, then you need to apply abroad.
5. What are the processing times for a General Work Visa?
Once your application has submitted, it will roughly between 30-40 working days before your General Work Visa is issued to you. Please note that placing your advert and SAQA roughly takes 1 month to process.
6. Can I add my spouse to my visa and would he/she have the right to work?
Yes you may add your spouse as an accompanying dependent but he/she will not have the right to work in South Africa. Should your spouse wish to work in South Africa at a later stage, then he/she has to qualify for a work visa in their own right.
7. How do I qualify for a General Work Visa?
• Job Offer
• SAQA Certificate
• Copy of your CV
• Department of Labour Certificate
• Evidence that your prospective employer has exhausted all attempts to find a local citizen.
8. I am married or in a permanent relationship with a SA citizen, do I have to apply for a General Work Visa?
No, if you currently hold a spouse or life partner visa then you need to add working rights to your visa to allow you full rights to work for a specific employer. Simply click the following link to find out how to add working right; Add working rights to my spousal or life partner visa
9. Who should apply for a General Work Visa?
Any applicant who does not qualify for a Critical Skills Visa, Intra-Company Visa should apply for the General Work Visa. Click here for a Free Assessment to see whether you qualify for a General Work Visa;
10. May I continue using my existing General Work Visa if I have left my previous employment and taken up new employment?
No you need to reapply for a new General Work Visa as your existing General Work Visa is tied to your previous employer.
Contact New World immigration to assist you in securing your General Work Visa. Contact us on +2721 555 0951 or email us at email@example.com