Tel: +27 21 555 0951

Applying for Permanent Residency in South Africa

The ABC’s of Applying for Permanent Residence in South Africa – PART 1

Should you be planning on making SA your home for a long period of time, you might want to consider getting permanent residence in the country. If you are successfull in getting PR in South Africa, you will be granted more rights than someone who has temporary residence.

The application process is as exhausting as applying for a work permit, if you do not have assistance. Here is the basic information that you will need in order to apply for Permanent Residence in SA. Contact an immigration expert for further assistance.

Usefull information regarding PR and work permit applications

Applying if you have not been issued with temporary residency before is possible. Many people apply for both PM and temporary residence at the same time. The only category that requires you to have a temporary permit is the business permit category.


The basic documentation that you will need to have in order to apply for PR

  • A medical certificate
  • Police clearance
  • A radiological certificate
  • Two passport photos
  • Your birth certificate
  • A medical certificate
  • A marriage certificate, if married
  • Eligibility documentation
  • A divorce certificate, if divorced

Detailed information regarding these documents can be obtained from your immigration consultant at NWI.

You can still get PR if you have a criminal record

It is possible to apply for permanent residence even if you have a criminal record, but it depends on what crime you were convicted of. Drug trafficking, rape, murder and other serious crimes will get your application turned down. Traffic convictions are also not regarded as serious enough to deny you the right to apply for PR.

What about Tuberculosis?

If you have been diagnosed with TB, you will not be able to apply for permanent residence in South Africa.

How long does PR last for?

Once you have been awarded PR in South Africa, it will last forever. You will however need to make sure that you are in the country at least one time within a three year period. If you are not, you will need to apply for another PR. Some of the PR categories will need you to comply with other requirements, but these will be stamped onto your certificate when it is issued.

Right! You have half the information that you need to get the process going. Watch out for PART 2 so that you can get the ball rolling with the help of NWI.

Your Application

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed

Your Credentials

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed


Other Information

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed