Electrical engineers who wish to live and work in South Africa can now qualify for a critical skills visa with the option to apply for permanent residency. The critical skills visa allows applicants the opportunity to search for employment in South Africa for a period of 12 months, so no job offer is needed to apply for this work visa. In addition to this, the critical skills visa requires no recommendation letter from the Department of Labour.
How to qualify for a critical skills visa:
• 1 x occupation on critical skills occupation list
• Register with a professional accredited body specific to your occupation
• All foreign qualifications must be assessed by SAQA
The critical skills visa allows applicants to have freedom of movement between employers, as long as the applicant is employed within the occupational category he/she applied for. This temporary work visa is issued for no more than 5 years and the principal applicant has the option to add family members to his/her visa.
How to qualify for permanent residency:
• Applicants must prove 5 years work experience relevant to their occupation.
Who is the responsible registration body in South Africa for electrical engineers?
Engineering council South Africa
Where should I submit my application for a critical skills visa?
Any person, who holds a valid South African temporary long stay visa, may submit an application for a critical skills visa in South Africa. Applicants who are not in possession of a valid South African temporary long stay visa (first time applicants) must submit their applications abroad in their country of residence.
What are the processing times for a critical skills visa?
• Lodged in South Africa – 40/60 working days
• Lodged abroad – 30/40 working days (depending on the amount of applications lodged at that point in time)
Submit your enquiry now by using one of the following methods and our friendly consultants will contact you within 24 hours.
Contact Us: +2721 555 0951