Tel: +27 21 555 0951

South Africa's Scarce Skills and Work Permits

South Africas Scarce Skills And Work Permits

How do I know if my occupation is listed on the Scarce Skills list?

You need to verify whether your profession or competency field falls within the schedule of categories that is published for that year. You also need to meet the proper qualification and experience requirements. Speak to one of the NWI consultants who will be able to help you with more information.

How long does it take for a work permit to be issued?

In our experience it takes about 6 to 8 weeks for permits to be issued.

If I have enough experience in one of the fields but no formal qualifications, can I still apply for a scarce skills permit?

It is important that you make sure that you meet all the requirements of the scarce skills permit. If not NWI could assist you in applying for a general work permit.

I have 25 years of professional experience, but I lost my diploma. Am I eligible to apply for the quota work permit?

Yes, one can still apply. Just apply for a copy of your qualification from the institute where you obtained your but your diploma.

I have professional experience in one field and education in another. Which one do I use to apply for a South African work permit?

You may only apply for a permit in the category where proof of qualification can be provided.

If I obtained a work permit for company A, am I allowed to move to company B?

Yes, as long as one stays employed in the same occupational category.

Am I allowed to change from one category of employment to the another? If so, what procedure should I follow?

You can, but you would have to reapply for a new permit.

I have been working for five years in RSA on a work permit. Do I qualify for Permanent Residence?

Yes, the Home Affairs Director-General may issue a permanent residence permit to a foreigner who has been the holder of a work permit for five years in terms of the Immigration Act and has proven to the satisfaction of the Director-General that he/she has secured employment.

In this case contact New World Immigration who can assist you with this process
If I came to RSA on a work permit, am I allowed to bring my family?

Bearers of work permits are allowed to bring his/her family but the family members still need to apply for temporary residency permits for each member of the family.

If I am in the country on another type of permit, can I apply for the Work Permit?

Yes, if you are in the country on another type of work permit. However, if you are in the country on a tourist visa have to go back to your country of origin to apply.

Your Application

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed

Your Credentials

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed


Other Information

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed