This work permit falls in the temporary residency stream, but if the applicant is able to prove five years’ experience in one of the specified occupations and has the appropriate qualifications the applicant would also qualify to apply for permanent residency.
1. How do I know if I qualify for a Scarce Skills Work Permit?
You need to verify whether your profession or competency field falls within the schedule of categories published list of Scarce Skills. You also need to meet the proper qualification and experience requirements.
2. Where can I find more information about Scarce Skills Work Permit and the application process?
Speak to one of our professional immigration consultants who will be happy to assist you. Visit our website or like us on Facebook for regular updates.
3. How long does it take for the Scarce Skills Work Permit to be issued?
About 6 to 8 weeks.
4. For how long is a Scarce Skills Work Permit valid?
A scarce skills visa is valid for 5 years and is renewable.
5. If I have enough experience in one of the fields but no formal qualifications, can I still apply for a Scarce Skills Work Permit?
You need to meet all the requirements of the scarce skills permit. If not you may consider applying for general work permit.
6. I have 25 years of professional experience, but I lost my diploma. Am I eligible to apply for the Scarce Skills Work Permit?
Yes, one can still apply, but you still need to get a copy/duplicate of your diploma.
7. I have professional experience in one field and education in another (both part of the critical skills visa). Which one do I use to apply for the Scarce Skills Work Permit?
One has to apply for the category where proof of qualification can be provided.
8. If I work for company A, am I allowed to move to company B?
Yes, as long as one stays employed in the same occupational category.
9. Am I allowed to change from one category of employment to another? If so, what procedure should I follow?
The same procedure as a new work permit.
10. If I came to RSA on a Scarce Skills Work Permit, am I allowed to bring my family?
One is allowed to bring his/her family but the family members still need to apply for temporary residency permits.
11. If I am in the country on another type of permit, can I apply for the Scarce Skills Work Permit?
Yes, if you are in the country on another type of work permit. However, if you are in the country (RSA) on a tourist visa have to go back to your country of origin to apply.