If you’re a qualified diesel mechanic and looking to immigrate to South Africa or currently working in the Republic with a valid temporary residence visa then you qualify to apply for a critical skills visa. Diesel mechanics are featured on the critical skills list for South Africa which is regarded as a scarce skill and South Africa is in desperate need for highly qualified applicants.
Applicants who are currently in South Africa may apply for a change of status if your existing visa is still valid. These applicants must register their occupation with a professional body in SA and evaluate their qualifications with SAQA. The processing time for a Critical Skills Visa would most likely be between 30 to 50 working days at the Department of Home Affairs before approving the work permit.
Applicants who would like to immigrate to South Africa must apply in their country of residence. This application must be submitted together with proof of registration from a professional body in South Africa and SAQA certificate. The processing times abroad may vary between 30 to 40 working days depending upon the amount of applications lodged at that point in time.
Foreign applicants who are able to prove 5 years work experience may apply for permanent residency simultaneously with their critical skills visa application. Applicants applying for this visa are entitled to search for employment opportunities in SA for a period of 12 months and this visa holds no ties to a specific employer.
The critical skills visa requires no experience, but professional bodies in South Africa may require you to provide at least 3-5 years experience within the following tasks:
- Diagnosing and repairing the mechanical and electrical faults of diesel vehicles and machinery.
- Diagnosing engine trouble, dismantling the engine when necessary, and replacing or repairing defective parts.
- Reassembling the engine and repairing mechanical and electrical faults in construction machinery.
- Locating problems by using diagnostic equipment.
- On becoming an experienced diesel mechanic, a problem can be located by listening to the noise in an engine.
- Replacing mechanical parts or making minor adjustments.
- Completing job cards, furnishing information on the parts that should be ordered and assisting in training learners.
Complete our free assessment form below and our friendly consultants will contact you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility.