Tel: +27 21 555 0951

Australia Needs Dairy Farmers

The continual growth in the industry has meant that many career opportunities have been created in the Australian agricultural sector and with this a skills shortage in Australia for dairy farmers.

Australia Needs Dairy Farmers

Dairy farming is listed on the country's Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List. Applicants would have to be in possession of an Australian temporary skilled immigration 457 visas to live and work in Australia as dairy farmers – here you can rely on your immigration consultant for guidance.

Many farmers down-under are using the Australian skilled immigration system to recruit personnel from overseas to fill vacancies reported an article published in adding that farmers are looking to recruit workers with a formal qualification in agriculture and experience of working on larger farms.

According to the latest figures there are currently, 6,300 dairy farms in operation across Australia. Due to increasing growth in this sector and an under supply in qualified locals the sector have become more reliant on the Australian skilled immigration system to find workers.

Surveys undertaken by Dairy Australia suggest that each dairy farm has between two and five members of staff, with the total number currently employed in the dairy farming industry being about 25,000. The survey also revealed that 80 per cent of dairy farmers struggle to find personnel with the required skills needed to help on their farms.

On an Australian skilled immigration temporary 457 visa, dairy farmers with a minimum of five years' experience can earn a salary of AU$53,900 per year. The 457 visa also allows a visa holder to work in Australia for up to four years for the sponsoring farm.

Claire Miller, Dairy Australia's policy strategy manager said, "The dairy industry will continue to be reliant upon the Australian skilled immigration system in order to recruit from overseas and meet labour demands in the short to medium term. Changes to the 457 visa criteria are also necessary to meet local needs."

"The changes will mean that a senior farm hand, with over five years of experience, or a Certificate III in Agriculture (or equivalent) with three years of experience, is eligible for a 457 visa," Miller added.


Your Application

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed

Your Credentials

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed


Other Information

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed